Friday, March 24, 2006

Are You Packin'?

I really haven't intended to be such a political blogger lately. I've started a new job where people tend to pay attention, ergo more things are on my radar, and it's hard not to write about them.

For example, yesterday the Kansas Legislature decided we need to be able to carry concealed weapons.

I don't necessarily understand the need. As Nice Carpool Gals and I were discussing on the way home--drunk people + concealed guns = bad idea.

And I'm not sure how much it really increases safety, either. I'm not a quick-draw-mcgraw, but I am reasonably proficient with a gun. Even so, I'm not sure that--if an attacker was close enough that I'd feel justified in shooting him--I'd be able to get my gun in hand and get the safety off before the attacker took it and used it against me.

But aside from all of that, what really compelled me to write was this statement by one of the bill's sponsors, Senetor Phil Journey:

“Many criminals are rational human beings, and when they realize there is a good chance that they could get shot committing a violent crime, they’ll probably decide to do something else.”

Many criminals are rational human beings?!? What utopian planet does this guy live on?

I'll concede that some criminals are rational human beings, but many, if not most, are strung out on drugs, have horrible impulse control, and just generally don't think things through.

If you want to make the argument that this allows law-abiding people to fight back, that's fine, but don't pretend that criminals go through a calculated, rational risk analysis before they commit crimes. That's just nonsense.

(But hey, every cloud has a silver lining, maybe this is just the excuse I need to get this gorgeous girl. Don't worry Nice Carpool Gals, I promise I won't try to bring her to work!)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home