Friday, February 10, 2006

Crocus Died This Week

She had only been with us for about a month, but it's funny how fast you get attached. We were cleaning their cage the other night and she bit Sweet Husband two or three times--neither of them had ever done that before. Then we started looking really closely and noticed she was moving funny and making a little coughing noise. I was planning to get up and call the vet first thing in the morning, but by then she was already gone.

And now poor sweet Poppy is living all alone. We might get her a new friend after the bar, but I want to wait until I have time to watch and make sure they don't fight.

Grrr....

Maybe it was something we did...maybe she was already sick when we brought her home....I hope it wasn't something we did. I think that's my least favorite thing about small pets--by the time you realize they're sick it's really just about too late, and then you never really know....

And I know lots of people would say, "It's just a mouse," but I really think that when you adopt an animal you have a responsibility to take care of it. Even if it is small--maybe especially if it's small. I can't help but think we failed somehow.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home