Saturday, October 01, 2005

October Leaves

I very frequently go to Mike Garofalo's Thematic Index of Gardening Quotations when I'm looking for words that say what I mean. At this time of year, I find myself trying to decide what I like more --the beautiful, cool blue days with the leaves turning colors against the sky, or the cold, clear nights with bright stars. But Mr. Garafalo has found words for both as well as some October weather lore:

Listen! the wind is rising,
and the air is wild with leaves,
We have had our summer evenings,
now for October eves!
- Humbert Wolfe
O suns and skies and clouds of June,
And flowers of June together,
Ye cannot rival for one hour
October's bright blue weather.
A warm October, A cold February.
When leaves fall early, Fall and Winter will be mild; When
leaves fall late, Winter will be severe
Squirrels gathering nuts in a flurry, Will cause snow to
gather in a hurry
Much rain in October, Much wind in December
Full Moon in October without frost, No frost 'till November's
Full Moon

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home