Wednesday, January 26, 2005

Lemon Tree blooming to a good book

Sitting up reading a very good book (Bringing a Garden to Life by Carol Williams) and enjoying the scent of my lemon tree, which has two blooms fully open and 6 or 7 more that are just about ready to pop. I've been trying to limit the number of blossoms so that we can get some lemons from the tree, but they're so soft and pretty against the green leaves and they smell like Spring. I want to have my blossoms and lemons too.

The book is one I should probably buy a copy of (it came from the wonderful Lawrence Public Library which I've discovered is a gold mine of "committment free"--i.e. I don't have to worry about feeling like I have to use every scrap of information in the book because I paid for it--gardening books). Nothing extremely specific or complicated--it may be oversimplified even--but I think it's good for me now because sometimes it almost seems like there are too many things to consider. Very good chapter on building a compost pile and very simply adding things to the soil more based on feel then on making sure you have just-so-much of this and just-so-much of that. She felt like a "kindred spirit" in her approach--practical (ok maybe I'm not always that), trial and error, let nature happen. Her garden is much bigger than mine I think, but maybe someday....

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home