Saturday, April 08, 2006

First Planted Things

I finished filling my new raised bed with soil this morning, and even got a few things planted. I've divided up the bed into 12 square foot sections. For reference, I'm numbering them like this, when I face the bed coming out of our house:

12, 11, 10, 09, 08, 07
01, 02, 03, 04, 05, 06

Today I just started some cool season stuff. It took a large amount of will power not to bring home a few of the beautiful baby tomato seedlings that are already out in nice neat little rows at the nursery, but hopefully in a few weeks....

This is what I planted:

2 Leeks in 07
9 Onion sets in the rest of 07 and the top of 06
8 Oxheart Carrots in the bottom of 06
1 Packet of California Spicy Greens mix (Arugula, Endive, Mizuna, Red Mustard) in 05

I also planted some "Red Norland" potatoes in the Grow Box. I found that it didn't work well for tomatoes last year because I couldn't keep slugs out of it, so I drilled some holes in the bottom and made it into a regular planter.

Eh, and I almost forgot--the joy of gardening with a wee terrier.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home